restoration harcourt

A collection of my thoughts and experiences during the restoration of a 1924 bungalow in Los Angeles.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Inaugural Post - Restoration Harcourt

This is the inaugural post of my new blog - Restoration Harcourt. Here's a condensed version of how I got here: I bought my 1924 bungalow in November 1999. I'm a first-time homeowner and the house had a lot of charm and was also in my price range. I moved in and began small DIY projects - painting, installing dimmer switches, swapping out bathroom fixtures and hardware. I wanted to do more, but was constrained by my budget - or lack thereof.

Fast forward 4 years later and I decided to try my hand at being a landlord and live at the beach. Beach life was fun and I learned a lot being a landlord. Upon close examination, I realized something was missing. I never really settled into my new surroundings and I missed my home and my old neighborhood. As a result, I began the process of planning what it would take to restore my home to its true potential.

But first I had to deal with the condition the house was left in. Years of benign neglect had taken their toll due to the house being a rental property. Now I have the time and more of the financial means to do what is necessary to bring the house back to its former glory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home