restoration harcourt

A collection of my thoughts and experiences during the restoration of a 1924 bungalow in Los Angeles.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Work In Progress

So what have I done so far? My house is a modest bungalow - 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, single story. My focus has been on the interior, namely the bathroom, 2 bedrooms and a hallway. The bungalow's layout is such that these rooms are on one side of the house with the living room, kitchen, breakfast nook and laundry area on the other half. By focusing on the bathroom and bedrooms first, I can move in and continue work on the other living areas with minor disruption to my daily routine. Or at least that's the plan.

Here are a couple of pictures of my bathroom after the tenant moved out:

The first picture is the view of the bathroom looking from the entry. The second picture is of the former shower/tub fixtures. On the opposite side of the bath fixtures is the toilet.

Now the work in progress:


This is the current bathroom layout. It has a more open feel despite the small space. The toilet and pedestal sink are Repertoire from American Standard. I had two niches built in to store frequently used items and to use for display. The shelves are not installed yet, so it may be hard to visualize. I really love my clawfoot tub. It gives the room a period feel that harmonizes well with the other fixtures. I went with white subway tile with black accents along the walls and black and white hex tile for the floor. The wall color reminds me of the old tub.



This is a closer look at the pedestal sink and medicine cabinet. The faucet is American Standard and the towel ring and soap dish are from Rejuvenation. Excuse the dust - I'll do a final cleaning once the bathroom is ready for use.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home