restoration harcourt

A collection of my thoughts and experiences during the restoration of a 1924 bungalow in Los Angeles.

Friday, February 24, 2006

Before and Almost After

Now that the vast majority of the electrical and plumbing work is out of the way, I can focus on decor and getting the house back together. I am very eager to get things finished in time for my parents' visit (they are expected at the end of March!). Sometimes I stress out on what I still have left to do, but I also need to take a look back on what I've accomplished thus far. So here are some before and almost after shots for inspiration as well as motivation:

Bedroom1 Before:



Bedroom1 Almost After:
I went with a cheery color to get me going in the morning. The shot is kind of dark, but you get the general idea. The wall color is Country Comfort by Benjamin Moore. The trim is painted White Opulence and the ceiling Grand Teton White also from Benjamin Moore. I had the carpet removed and the original hardwood floors refinished.

Bedroom2 Before:

This is more of a "Work in Progress" than a "Before" picture.


Bedroom2 Almost After:
This will be a den/home office since I'm short on space. The wall color is Wythe Blue from the Benjamin Moore Historical Collection. The trim and ceiling paint are the same as Bedroom1. I will use this combination for all the rooms for consistency. The great thing about the bedrooms is that the original baseboard and window trim were not removed. I'm also keeping the original windows as well.


Hallway Before: I don't think I have a picture of this particular area. As far as its prior state, all of the trim and plaster in this area were removed by POs and replaced with faux "wood" paneling and trim. Most of the mitre edges did not meet and it unfortunately looked more like a bad picture frame instead of the craftsman-style trim that is in most of the rooms in the house.

Hallway Almost After:

I had all of the new trim recreated to match the existing trim located in other rooms of the house courtesy of my sister and brother in-law. For a small area, there are a lot of doorways! I think the trim makes the space look great now. Here's another shot that shows a somewhat closer view of the trim:


I plan to post more pictures when I've completed these rooms. I'm working on the Living Room now so look for a similar "Before and Almost After" post soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home