restoration harcourt

A collection of my thoughts and experiences during the restoration of a 1924 bungalow in Los Angeles.

Friday, April 14, 2006

Next Up ... The Kitchen!

Despite my trepidation, I am glad that the restoration has progressed to the point that work on the kitchen has begun. My kitchen is currently a mini fridge and my bathroom sink, so regaining kitchen functionality will complete the interior transformation and allow me to feel truly at home. I have some great fixtures from Schoolhouse Electric and Rejuvenation that I can’t wait to see installed. I will also have a door I purchased from Silverlake Yards installed. I bought a great amethyst and clear glass doorknob set from there as well. I used the amethyst for my bedroom door and the clear glass will be for my linen closet. I went eclectic with the doorknobs, mixing colors here and there to fit the décor of the room instead of going for a uniform look overall. For the bathroom, I have an emerald green glass doorknob to go with the Etched Glass walls and I chose an amber glass doorknob for the Office/Den which is painted Wythe Blue.

For the back door, I will use an existing oil-rubbed bronze egg-shaped doorknob from Baldwin along with the matching deadbolt. Somehow the original deadbolt “disappeared” from the time that I moved out and the last tenant moved in. I’m sure the lock was not defective, but then again I was able to replace it without a problem so I’m moving on.

I’ll post a picture or two of the kitchen work in progress shortly. It was discovered that the ceiling had some curvature in the center – but that has now been corrected and the ceiling looks great. At least I didn’t have to deal with the acoustical ceilings in these rooms. The rooms (kitchen, nook and laundry) should be painted and the floors installed this weekend. I can’t wait to be able to use my own washer and dryer. It will be great to stop stalking the communal laundry room at the apt and wash whenever the mood strikes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home