restoration harcourt

A collection of my thoughts and experiences during the restoration of a 1924 bungalow in Los Angeles.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Progress So Far - Part One

Progress So Far - Part One

I decided to look back at the progress I've made so far in order to jump start my motivation to finish some lingering house projects. So here it goes:

12/05
I am eager to get started at this point, but who knew what was lurking behind the walls . . .
* I created a spreadsheet to spec out all the materials and fixtures I need. I follow my list pretty closely, though more items are needed to address issues I am not yet aware of.
* One of those issues is a bathroom with a leak that has rotted a large portion of my subfloor. The whole room has to be gutted to the studs in order to start over.
* Go to Lowe's to buy my pedestal sink and toilet only to be captivated by a picture of a clawfoot bathtub. Decide on the spot to purchase a tub - either salvage or reproduction.
* After researching the net and salvage yards for a clawfoot tub, decide to go reproduction. Purchase a tub that blows my original budget, but it looks really, really good.
* Start storing parts and materials in my living room because my house has no garage (it was torn down by a PO). The entire month is dedicated to installing copper plumbing for the entire house, new electrical for the bathroom, hallway and bedrooms (2) as well as replacing the bathroom subfloor.

1/06
* Bathroom tile work is put on hold because I ran out of a black trim tile for my Art Deco inspired bathroom. Picked up my clawfoot tub, which is the focal point of the room.
* Move on to the bedrooms which need the "cottage cheese" on the ceilings removed. Post removal, discover the ceilings have significant cracks and need to be replaced.
* Repair plaster walls for the bedrooms where new electrical was installed. Add more outlets and integrate the phone & cable/satellite jacks for a cleaner look.
* Replace crown molding in the bedrooms with a similar style due to the ceiling replacement (the original crown could not be saved). Add new crown molding in the bathroom.
* Start choosing colors for the rooms. Decide to go with a Benjamin Moore palette using some of their Classic and Historic colors.

2/06
* Still no trim tile though most of the wall and floor tile is on, just not grouted. Install a new window and add casing to match trim throughout the house.
* Decide to add niches with glass shelves based on a picture I saw in a magazine. Realize my bathroom looks very similar to a bathroom shown in a Rejuvenation catalog.
* Add door casing and baseboards to the hallway that match trim throughout the house. Original trim was removed by a PO. Some of the cuts are challenging, but it's all in and looks great.
* Living room is demo'd to the studs. Plaster had a lot of cracks and couldn't be saved so took the opportunity to add insulation. Ceiling is also replaced and discover the room had a faux fireplace.
* New range oven is delivered, but no kitchen yet. So the next three months are spent moving it in and out of rooms as work progresses - a real pain.

3/06
* Hallway is painted. Install schoolhouse light fixture for hallway.
* Purchase a new Craftsman style door made of Douglas Fir and an entry set from Baldwin. New oak threshold built and installed along with replacing portions of front door casing with Douglas Fir (original casing damaged beyond repair after moving metal security door).
* Hardwood floors are sanded and refinished. Living room floor is patched where a large grate for an old, non-working furnace was removed.
* My sister has a baby! His name is Alfredo (Jr.). Work continues at a fever pitch as my parents will be visiting in about a week.
* Replace doorknobs and hinges on several of the interior doors. Doors are solid, 5-panel style. Purchase a rare amethyst glass doorknob from a salvage yard for one of the bedrooms and a green reproduction glass doorknob for the bathroom.
* Living room is wired for electrical, phone and satellite. Install vintage sconces purchased from eBay though not fully functioning yet.
* Trim for all windows (qty=4) and door openings (qty=2) are created for the living room to match what was removed by a PO. Walls and trim are painted. A portion of the baseboard trim is also installed.
* New leather sofa is delivered as well as an Art Deco end table from eBay. Start moving some of my things from my apartment in preparation for my parent's visit.
* Enter the makeshift kitchen of a coffeemaker, microwave and a mini fridge. I use it mostly to heat up food and store my drinks and leftovers.
* My parents visit and see the progress made up to this point. After their visit, I move into the house to stay full-time.

4/06
* Work is sporadic and moving slowly. Focus shifts to completely moving out of my apartment even without a working kitchen.
* Pack my apartment and I am overwhelmed by the amount of boxes I need to move. After pulling several all-nighters, I'm all packed and moved out.
* Get help to move boxes to storage and the house. Start thinking about kitchen cabinets since the salvaged ones I had got ruined.
* Obtain the original building permit for my house. Learn that the house had no original built-ins and cost $2200 in 1924.
* Purchased some great fixtures from Schoolhouse Electric and Rejuvenation for the laundry and kitchen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home